Spring Clean with a FOOD BASED DETOX
Is it time for a reset? You could use a trendy supplement or pricy raw juice program, or you could keep things simple (realatively) and detox with specific foods. Following a detoxifying diet helps your body get rid of accumulated toxins, rebalance itself and run more efficiently. Your Liver, Colon, and Skin with thank you.
Spring is the ideal time to detox according to Chinese Medicine. Spring correlates with the Liver in Chinese Meidicine, and from the standpoint of western medicine your Liver is a major organ of detoxification. Your Liver is in charge of filtering chemicals out of your blood, and since your Liver also clears histamine, doing a liver detox can even help with seasonal allergies.
This food-based program can be seven to ten days long. For the first 2 days, eat only the foods on the “Liberally” list. These foods are good for the liver and aid detoxification. The foods on the “Moderately” list should be eaten in moderation and not at all for the first 2 days. Eat three meals per day, snack if you would like, and drink a lot of water. The Pre-Cleanse period can be helpful to ease your body into the Detox.
IMPORTANT THINGS TO NOTE
Talk to your Doctor before doing a Detox of any kind - especially if you’re on medication or have a health condition.
* Stop the program if you feel pain or discomfort. Always see your doctor if you have unexplained symptoms that do not go away. *
Pre-Cleanse (7 days)
If you've ever done a detox, you know you can feel miserable for the first few days. Make it easier by doing a Pre-cleanse. Start cutting back on the foods to to avoid. Gradually cut down on coffee to avoid withdrawal headaches and make the switch to Green Tea.
Foods to Eat Liberally
- garlic and onions
- green leafy vegetables, kale, mustard greens, beet greens, etc.
- sweet potatoes
- fresh herbs such as parsley and cilantro
- kiwi fruits
- lemons- add slices to water, use in salad dressing
- peas, beans, and lentils
- whole grains and cereals- brown rice, millet, quinoa
- olive oil- high quality extra virgin for salad dressing and low temperature cooking
- tea: herbal or green tea if you need a little caffeine
- juice of 1/2 lemon and warm water- drink first thing in the morning
- filtered water- at last 10 cups per day
Foods to Eat Moderately (Days 3-7 only)
- white meat- chicken, pork, turkey
- white fish- sole, cod, haddock, skate, herring, sardines, tilapia
- eggs- free range
- nuts- almonds, brazil nuts, walnut
- seeds- sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, flaxseeds
- dried fruit- dates, figs, apricots, raisins
- grains- barley, rye, oats
- milk substitutes- oats, almond, or rice milk
- organic greek yogurt
Foods to Avoid (avoid these during the entire detox)
- nonorganic foods
- coffee, black tea
- orange juice
- sugar and foods containing lots of sugar
- refined carbs- white versions of foods like bread, pasta, rice, cake and crackers
- red meats
- dairy products
- wheat- bread, pasta, etc
- foods containing additives and preservatives
- packaged and processed food including processed meat
Modified lifestyle habits can enhance your detox. Taking Epsom Salt Baths, using a Sauna or Steam, and getting extra rest will help your body clear out accumulated toxins to feel better faster.
Once you've finished this detoxifying "reset," consider keeping some of these healthy habits going. With less sugar and dairy products, you will have less inflammation and potentially have fewer health problems down the road!
ps. Remember- all of these healthy tips are not a substitute for medical advice. Ask your doctor about any health questions or concerns you may have. Your doctor is your partner in your wellness plan!